To find the other posts in this series, look below this post for a list of "Vitamin Facts" articles.
Vitamin A Facts:
- As the letter implies, it was the first vitamin to be discovered.
- It is essential to good vision
- It helps promote normal growth
- In animal tissue, it is occurs as retinol
- Fish Oils are a common source of Vitamin A
- In plants, carotene (beta carotene) is the precursor to Vitamin A...in other words, beta carotene, the orange color in carrots and other vegetables, has what is necessary to be converted into Vitamin A by the body.
- Needed for health of epithelial cells
- Benefits the Immune System
- Needed for reproduction
- Nursing Moms need for lactation
- Helps in the formation of steroidal hormones
- So important to healthy skin and the tissue linings within and outside the body
- An antioxidant
- Absorbed best when taken with fat or oil
- When pregnant don't exceed approximately 5,000 IU
- Otherwise, generally best not to exceed 10,000 IU